I can recommend www.cfmxhosting.co.uk
most of the others I have tried over the years were rubbish  or turned out of
be resellers for the rubbish ones. So far these guys have been great so I stuck
with them.

Cloud is essentially just the same thing as a VPS, depending on your viewpoint,
everyone has a different definition. But a VPS is what you will get form most
hosts. If you want PROPER cloud infrastructure then you have to go to the likes
of Amazon.
It really depends what you actually want.
A good test of any host is to contact their sales dept and ask them some
technical questions and see what kind of response you get.