We run almost all of our shared and internal web servers as VMs using
VMware with no degradation in performance.  Most of them are currently
using local storage of the host node. Eventually we will be moving to
either a fiber channel SAN storage or multi-pathed direct attach storage to
store the vm images.

Currently using local storage we cannot reap the benefits of Vmotion, which
handles moving vms from host to host in the advent the host goes down. It
can also (based on a rule set) move vms if esx host performance begins to
degrade. Nice thing is there is virtually no downtime when this occurs, you
may notice a freeze for less than a second in most instances. Vmotion is
where you get "cloud" like behavior.

In a well desgined and configured environment you should really see no
performance differences. In fact if use fiber channel san disk i/o will
probably be better than local storage (with a server virtualizied or not).
Then it comes down to cost, san and vmware get expensive, but you get into
the very highly available arena.

You have to do your homework as some hosts say vm, but may not be giving
you the HA aspect, so if a host goes down you still will have down time.
Although, vms in general tend to be easier to recover than doing baremetal
restores or breaking raid and putting a drive in another machine.

At hosting.com, they used to sell simple/vms that used nfs storage with no
vmotion, now they only sell enterprise vms that use san storage and have
vmotion enabled.  Difference in cost is about 3 times more because of the
storage and vmotion license cost.

Then vps is another virtualization technology. Its container based, as
opposed to hypervisor, and has some of the same storage and HA
considerations. Conatiners are nice in the way they share memory, you can
actually get better capacity (more vms per node) than hypervisors, but
usually want vps of smaller size (less ram and cpu cores).

Depending on your budget you may want to look at vps over vms as they are
usually less expensive. Might be a good stepping stone.

Byron Mann
Lead Engineer and Architect
Hostmysite.com