Without detailed errors enabled then you will not see cf errors, you will
see 500  server errors.
You need the web.config to enable custom settings for your site and for
asp.net, this is how it works on iis 7.
If you never had a web.config before then your site wad only using default
config, and as your using cf it was not required for asp.net

Regards
Russ Michaels