Changing the method you use to extract the data has no impact on traffic,
unless he means traffic between the ColdFusion server and the Database
server.

Depending on the size of the file, you will get much better performance
from a relational database than you will iterating over a sequential file.

Opening and reading a file, then looping over all the rows to determine
which ones are active is going to take much more time than a simple
database select.

Also, you can improve the performance in the query by only selecting the
two fields you are using instead of doing a  Select *