Sorry for asking an OT question, but I've been asking around Microsoft (at
least 10 different people in MS Support,  and in Partner services)  for
more than a week and after all this time not a single MS person will even
attempt to answer this question ....

If i install a SQL Server 2012 product,   (any level - Express or up to
Enterprise )   how compatible is it with SQL Server 2005 databases?

The reason I ask is I'm building new laptops for development, based on
Windows 7 Pro OS,  and want to install up to date software if i can.   But
my major client uses SQLServer 2005 as his production database.   Therefore
any machine I build has to be capable of developing SQL2005 databases.

Does anyone here know the answer?  Or else can anyone point me towards
someone who could tell me?

--
Cheers
Mike Kear