Mike,

I think that each database has a setting for "compatibility level" (go
to the Properties dialog for the database, then the "Options" tab, it's
at the very top).  As long as you leave this at "SQL Server 2005 (90)",
you should be able to run the same database on 2012.  I don't have SQL
Server 2012 yet, but I do have 2008 R2. Here is an excerpt from the help
docs for 2008 R2, under "Alter Database Compatibility Level":

>     For all installations of SQL Server 2008, the default
>     compatibility level is 100. Databases created in SQL Server 2008
>     are set to this level unless the *model* database has a lower
>     compatibility level. When a database is upgraded to SQL Server
>     2008 from any earlier version of SQL Server, the database retains
>     its existing compatibility level if it is at least 80. Upgrading a
>     database with a compatibility level below 80 sets the database to
>     compatibility level 80. This applies to both system and user
>     databases. Use ALTER DATABASE to change the compatibility level of
>     the database. To view the current compatibility level of a
>     database, query the *compatibility_level* column in the
>     *sys.databases* catalog view.
>

>           Using Compatibility Level for Backward Compatibility
>
>     Compatibility level affects behaviors only for the specified
>     database, not for the entire server. Compatibility level provides
>     only partial backward compatibility with earlier versions of SQL
>     Server. Use compatibility level as an interim migration aid to
>     work around version differences in the behaviors that are
>     controlled by the relevant compatibility-level setting. If
>     existing SQL Server applications are affected by behavioral
>     differences in SQL Server 2008, convert the application to work
>     properly. Then use ALTER DATABASE to change the compatibility
>     level to 100. The new compatibility setting for a database takes
>     effect when the database is next made current (whether as the
>     default database on login or on being specified in a USE statement).

This is followed by a long table that explicitly states the differences
in compatibility from previous versions.  I'm assuming the docs for SQL
Server 2012 would have something similar.

HTH,
Carl