well it depends how you process.
if you redirect to authorize.net and then come back to your site, then why
not simply send your thank you email after they are redirected back to your
site, this is how most folks do it. The ajax stuff seems a bit overkill.
If your processing serverside, then you simply need to wait till you get
the response back from your CFHTTP call.