Thanks, everyone, for the comments...

Judah, I'm using the Advanced Integration Method (AIM),
since I'm hosting my own form.

Here's what I'm referring to in the Authorize.net info
about personally identifying information:

>From the Advanced Integration Method docs:

Merchant-defined data fields are not intended to and must not be used
to capture personally identifying information. Accordingly, the merchant
is prohibited from capturing, obtaining, and/or transmitting any
personally identifying information in or by means of the merchant-defined
data fields. Personally identifying information includes, but is not limited
to,
name, address, credit card number, social security number, driver's license
number,
state-issued identification number, passport number, and card verification
numbers
(CVV, CVC2, CVV2, CID, CVN). If Authorize.Net discovers that the merchant is
capturing and/or transmitting personally identifying information by means of
the merchant-defined data fields, whether or not intentionally, CyberSource
will immediately suspend the merchant's account, which will result in a
rejection
of any and all transaction requests submitted by the merchant after the
point of suspension.

That seems clear to me, that in the AIM method, I can't use the
"merchant-defined"
x_ fields to capture any of the info mentioned above.

My plan was just to send to them what they require for the processing and
use
the other fields from the form for the in-house emailing, thank-you's, "in
honor of",
"in memory of", etc., data.  I don't think that kind of data can go through
Authorize.net's server and back to me.

Rick