On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Bryan Stevenson <
br...@electricedgesystems.com> wrote:

> So what is it about ORM that makes this "WAY WAY WAY better"

I didn't say "better", actually, I said "portable"

> Why is ORM (or ORM with CF) the magic bullet?  Simple real life example?

There is no such thing as a magic bullet. This is the reason we all are
employed. I've used ORM in CF for a number of projects, and have
used/explored maybe 50% of it's functionality so far. I am by no means an
expert, however in my own personal experience..

ORM is good at:
- Hibernate makes CRUD drop dead simple.
- Your code will be shorter, more consistant
- Changes are easier to make in one central place
- You can even have Hibernate build your tables for you! Including
relationships and indexes!
- HQL Will let you "drop down to SQL" when the ORM entities don't seem to
be doing the job alone.

ORM is bad at:
- Learning curve. The basics are easy. Adding complexity adds er...
complexity.
- Errors that it throws are sometimes misleading and semi-nonsensical
(impacts learning curve)
- Things like Self-Joins and more advances functionality can be difficult
to figure out.

Like any tool in your programming toolbox, you have to know when to use it
and when not to.

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress