Thanks for the replies. The answer to Steve, Bill and Matt is, the query is
far too dynamic to be built inside a cfquery without a million cfif or
switch/case statements.

In fact, that sort of thing is what we're trying to replace. The existing
routine is a cfquery tag that has stacks of specific logic, and it's
already almost unmaintainable. The current requirement means there will be
literally hundreds of possible combinations of parameters and operators.

I've built lots and lots of dynamic queries in the manner you suggest, and
I understand your concern. It just won't work in this case. Please take my
word for it.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Bill Moniz <hydro.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Coldfusion is just going to see #sqlStatement# as a block
> of literal text, so it will pass
>
>  WHERE firstName LIKE <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar"
> value="%bar%" />
>
> into the DB exactly as written.

It appears you may well be correct. But that's exactly what I'm trying to
determine for certain. Do you know that this is the case, or are you
assuming it to be so?

Believe me, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I've combed the docs and
Googled extensively before asking my question here.

I suppose that's the key question: if a query statement containing
queryParam statements is output within a cfquery tag, does CF try to
interpret the tags, or simply pass the plain text to the driver?

It does seem as if Bill is correct, and CF simply passes the queryParam tag
as text to the driver. Can anyone confirm for certain this is true, or
point to anywhere in the docs this is dealt with?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

--
Thanks,

Tom

Tom McNeer