> We use client variables in our client databases and I've seen some
> information that you can get better performance by creating indexes on
> those tables.  For instance this page
> (http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=sharedVar
> s_08.html) says the following:"To improve performance, you should also
> create indexes when you create these tables. For the CDATA table, index
> these cfid and app columns. For the CGLOBAL table, index the cfid column."
> Has anyone on this list created indexes for these tables before? If so, any
> suggestions of the best way to do this?
> For instance, would we need to add an identity column to these tables
> first?  If so, how best to do that given that they are in use with quite a
> bit of data already.
> Then, what would the actual index code look like?

You don't need to create an identity column, the tables already have a
perfectly usable natural key. Just do exactly what it says. Also,
disable global client variable updates in the CF Administrator if
you're not using them.

If you're using SQL Server, you'd have something like this:

CREATE UNIQUE CLUSTERED INDEX idxCDATA
ON cdata (cfid, app)

Or you could just use the handy SQL Server management GUI.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.