I've been writing an application in CF that imports cost data from
Analytics, AdWords, BING, and other APIs that generate reports based on
selected date ranges and filtered campaigns.

After looking into multiple types of jQuery based calendar selectors used
in setting the date ranges, I decided to go with drop down menus with my
own Ajax/CFC driven version instead.  Now the question has come back to me
about adding the Calendar selection instead because I've been told it's
more "user friendly".

When I first started writing it, I implemented the calendar selection and
found many issues that didn't work as well as I would like.  I also looked
into how Google Analytics uses the date range options with their calendar
selection to see how they did it.  There are several things that I don't
like about these and ultimately chose to not use this type of method.

For example, if you're selecting four or more months or a full year, it's
faster to type in the date range than to select from the provided visual
calendar (clicking back to Jan, selecting the 1st, then clicking forward to
Dec etc).  However, typing in the date range manually can lead to user
error and results in a need for more validation, which is something I'd
rather avoid.

With a custom created set of drop down menus it's faster than both hand
typing it and clicking through multiple months to get the right date range,
not to mention less space used in the interface.

Am I wrong?  Opinions?

-Matt