Really odd issue we've been having.. We have a scheduled task that hits another
database server to get a full list of employees.  It then runs through the user
accounts for this specific app and adds or updates accounts as needed.

We weren't aware that it had been broken, so we don't know exactly what change
on the server side could have done it (virtual instance).

If the query looks like:

select TOP 5 somecolumn from employees - the query runs

If the query looks like:

select somecolumn from employees - a blank CF error (no message or details) is
thrown immediately without trying to run the query

I've upped the "TOP 5" to about ~50 and around that and above, it either throws
the immediate CF error or attempts to run and then brings down ColdFusion.

On one of our other CF boxes with less memory (4gb vs 512mb), the query runs
and returns the 18,000 rows within seconds.  Looking at Task Manager, I don't
see any spikes in memory or CPU when the page is ran.  The error is thrown
immediately, almost like the server just refused to bother.

It seems like ColdFusion is either trying to allocate resources and not liking
the info it gets or is somehow otherwise sizing up what will be needed for the
call.  I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't run and time out like
other queries.  The CF error returned is blank and thrown immediately.

We've created a new DSN using the fully qualified domain name, IP address, and
even changed the query to a stored proc that should have resulted in less
overhead on CF and nothing seems to help.

If we don't specify a "TOP XX" number or specify one that's too large (50+), we
get this strange result.  Otherwise it runs or at least attempts to run just
fine.

Being that we're using an long outdated version of CF, it's been hard to find
support specific to this issue and I need to try to throw our server folks a
bone as these issues tend to become IT hot potato games (not the server, it's
CF... not CF, it's the database, etc.).

Anyone experience a similar issue?  I've created tons of queries in the last 10
years, crashed tons of CF instances, and written tons of bad SQL, but this
issue is so odd that I've never encountered it in the wild.

In the CF Admin settings, the CF version on the trouble server is showing as
"6,1,0,83762".