That's because it's not a hacker; it's a script. It's either running in a
loop or on a schedule. There's not much point in trying to block the IP
address, since they could just change the IP address. It's probably onion
routed or otherwise obfuscated through a proxy of some sort; they can just
change proxy. Remember that any blocked IP address could be dynamically
assigned, so you can end up blocking legit users that way.

I've seen scripted attacks go on for months with the IP addresses changed
frequently. If you want to block attempts, you would have to use a tool
that would detect the pattern and add IP addresses automatically, or you
could reject the IP block that it's coming from if the country is blockable
per your business requirements. Depending on your business model that may
or may not be appropriate but it ultimately may not work since there are
proxies and zombies in the US that could used for this.

I've blocked IP blocks before but they can change IP blocks too. If you
need to buy time to close some holes, you can block the IP block that
contains the IP. It will take a little while for the block to get worked
around. I've seen one day turn around circumventing that. Blocking a single
IP is faster to get around, but they'll get around it.

The code needs to be fixed. Anything else is cat and mouse.

One thing that I noticed in my last attack was that there was a
simultaneous attack on production and on dev, with attempts to log into
both via Remote Desktop. You may want to also check your system logs to
make sure that they aren't trying to brute force onto the servers as well.
If they are, you'll need to implement something at the firewall. (Yes, I
know that should have been firewalled to begin with. Don't get me started.)