From: Pete Freitag [mailto:p...@foundeo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 11:41 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Good jvm ram settings for 64 bit ColdFusion

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Mark A Kruger <mkru...@cfwebtools.com>wrote:

> In 32 bit addressing each memory "address" takes up 4 bytes (4 x 8  bits)
> but a 64 bit address space is wider (as in 8 x 8 bits).  So for example,
if
> you store an integer - say 14 - on a 32 bit system, it will take 4 bytes
> do it (00000000 00000000 00000000 00001110).

That is correct about the addressing being larger on 64 bit, but it still
uses 32 bits to store an int (in Java at least, this may differ if you are
doing c/c++, etc), but it's address is twice as big. So what accounts for
the extra heap usage is that when you have an object reference (or a
pointer) to another object or primitive within an object instead of taking
32 bits per reference it takes 64 bits.

Also Michael - 2gb perm size seams rather large generally speaking (unless
you have tons of cfm/cfc files). Further if your server has 8GB of ram, and
you are setting 6GB max heap and 2GB max perm size then you are not leaving
any room for the OS to operate when things get full.

The perm size does not usually change much once the application is fully
loaded and all possible logic routes have executed at least once (unless
you have some sort of dynamic cfml generating going on) so you should be
able to see how much you are actually using at runtime by running this
code: http://www.petefreitag.com/item/821.cfm

--
Pete Freitag - Adobe Community Professional
http://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products