Memory(Heap) is managed in generations, or memory pools holding objects of
different ages. Garbage collection occurs in each generation when the
generation fills up. Objects are allocated in a generation for younger
objects or the young generation, and because of infant mortality most
objects die there.

When any new object is constructed it goes to Eden space which is a
part of Young
Generation.

If object is still alive after some time it goes to tenured generation where
long lived objects lie.

The permanent generation is special because it holds meta-data describing
user classes (classes that are not part of the Java language). Examples of
such meta-data are objects describing classes and methods and they are
stored in the Permanent Generation. Applications with large code-base can
quickly fill up this segment of the heap which will cause
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen

this article may help

http://www.aliaspooryorik.com/blog/index.cfm/e/posts.details/post/tuning-the-jvm-275

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Michael Dinowitz <mdino...@houseoffusion.com