Just to be clear, CFX_ValidEmail is my tag. It was written in Delphi 7 and
interfaces to CF through the C++ interface. All of the CFX tags I built are
32-bit only and unlikely to ever get an upgrade. They were all written at
the time of CF4 and have had bug fixes and maintenance for them since that
time but I'd recommend finding alternatives these days.

To that end, I've been moving over the more popular of my CFX tags to have
CF/Java replacements and although I haven't got around to doing
CFX_ValidEmail, it would be relatively easy to replicate now in CF8 or
above.

To replace CFX_ValidEmail, I'd look at performing an MX lookup on the domain
and then if you need to do an SMTP check, you'd have to implement a short
SMTP client that "pretends" to be sending an e-mail to the relevant server
and validates the inbound e-mail address against the mailboxes it looks
after.

In my POPCFC client on RIA forge, there's a "socket" class that makes
sending and receiving data over protocols like SMTP easy so it wouldn't take
more than a couple of hours to rig something up to replace CFX_ValidEmail
totally in a pure CF/Java way.

Paul