> As far as working in the same environment as we deploy to, that's easy if
> you work for a single client, I suppose.  But, that's not something that's
> always possible.
>
> Dave, not all of us have the luxury of developing only on the platform that
> gets deployed to.  We have a number of clients and they don't all run the
> same platform.

We have a number of clients also. But through the power of
virtualization and/or cloud services, we're able to stand up custom
environments pretty quickly.

> Of course, now I'm in MAMP hell, because it won't run CF files (it keeps
> commenting out the include of my mod_jk.conf when I start Apache).

I guess what I'm getting at is: the code I'm writing is almost
certainly not going to be running on OS X, so why should I care that
much about the details of the development environment on OS X? Are you
doing any development that specifically relies on Apache
functionality? If not, why not use the built-in web server? I'm
honestly curious, how many CF developers actually need to use Apache
or IIS on their local workstation if they don't actually need to
replicate the entire stack?

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.