But if the variable contains a street address like "1313 Mockingbird Lane" then
val() would make us think it's numeric data.

In this case, this could be data that is supposed to be numeric but may not be
.  Kind of a silly example.

I guess if lsParaeNumber() returned something like "NAN" for non-numeric
arguments it would be simpler.