I take it back... exact same code EXCEPT my code in outside the Custom
Tag folder had excluded the PORT attribute, so I assume it was going to
the non-SSL port and working fine.

Once I added port = "636" to that code, exact same response: socket closed

Again, the LDAPS (636) port is open to the ColdFusion server.

I'm thinking it's an SSL issue.  What steps need to be taken to ensure
LDAPS communication works?

Thanks!

Dan