From: Dave Watts [mailto:dwa...@figleaf.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:57 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: "The long tail of ColdFusion fail"

> CF should install locked down out of the box, there really should be no
> need to follow a complex lockdown guide to make it secure.

That sounds great in theory, but I don't think it would work well in reality.

Whenever you install server software, you are responsible for
understanding how it works, and for making tradeoffs between security
and functionality. Adobe doesn't know how exactly you're going to use
CF, and what tradeoffs you're willing to accept. Those are going to be
radically different between various developers and administrators, and
even radically different from one project to the next. There's no
substitute for basic knowledge here - it's just that simple.

If you really think Adobe is responsible for your server's security,
and should be installed "locked down out of the box", you must have a
different idea of what locked down means than I do.

Adobe is responsible for vulnerabilities in the CF Administrator, but
you are responsible for ensuring that the CF Administrator isn't
exposed to untrusted networks. It's a web application, just like any
other.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
1-202-527-9569
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.