Here is an excerpt from one of my posts last month. There's probably quite a
few other useful discussions on this topic in the list archives already.

I would like to add ezEdit (http://www.siteobjects.com) to this list of
utilities. It is  distributed in the form of a custom tag. This tag works
like most of the rest. It is free and Open Source. It lacks (and will
probably always lack) features like the spell checker found in a few others
because of the licensing fees associated with the spell checking databases
and such.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
voice: (508) 240-0051
fax: (508) 240-0057

<excerpt>

Most of the solutions out there (especially the ColdFusion ones) are all
based on the MSHTML editor. Information developing applications using this
component can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/overview/editing.asp

Here's a list of the most popular ones that I've seen around. I know there
are a couple people from some of these companies on this list who will
probably want to interject on behalf of their company. However, we just
researched this fairly extensively. This is a combination of our opinions
from evaluating the products and information gathered from the sales people.
Please take it for what it is worth:

HTMLEdit
This is not a ColdFusion solution but I would be remiss not to mention it
since it is such a quick and easy solution that probably meets many peoples'
needs.
http://javaboutique.internet.com/HTMLEdit/
Pros: Simple and Open Source. Cross-platform and cross-browser.
Cons: Very, very few features (i.e. only includes basic HTML editing).

HTMLAREA
http://www.iautomated.com/
Pros: Free (Lite) Version. Cross Platform.
Cons: Interface needs some work (i.e. bulky and clumsy); missing some of the
features. Pay version is not particularly cheap. Not cross-browser (IE
only).

ActiveEdit
http://www.cfdev.com/
Pros: Cross-platform and Inexpensive. Integration with some other products
from the same company like ActiveScan.
Cons: Interface needs a little work (i.e. a little clumsy and can't be
embedded into a page) and it's missing a couple features (e.g. dictionary),
most of which are coming out in the next version. It is not cross-browser
(IE only).

eWebEdit
http://www.ektron.com/
Pros: Nice interface with all the features. Cross-browser and Spectra-ready.
Cons: Really (really) high price tag (Although according to their sales rep
they haven't figured out their pricing yet so this may change). Not
cross-platform (Windows only).

Hope this helps.

</excerpt>