Hmm, that is odd. It may very well be a bug. I don't know for sure if the
location of where you define the application properties is restricted to
the top of your Application.cfc or not, but here are two things to try.

Placing the calling of your configuration cfc inside your
onApplicationStart() method:

<cfcomponent name="MyApplication" output="false">
        <cfscript>

        public void function onApplicationStart() {
                tcreateObject("component",
"cfc.ApplicationSettings").configureAppSettings(app=this);
                this.applicationManager.onApplicationStart();
        }

        public void function onRequestStart() {
                application.applicationManager.onRequestStart();
        }
        </cfscript>
</cfcomponent>

Or add an additional mapping above the call to the config cfc.

<cfcomponent name="MyApplication" output="false">
        <cfscript>

       THIS.mappings["/cfc"]="path-to-cfc-folder";