I'm trying to make do with using a custom 404 handler in IIS but the
requested template variable in CF resolves to to 404 handler rather than
the url of the requested page.  This is getting complicated as this is only
a work around for local development and I don't want to change to much and
break the live site.

Does anyone have any other pointers on how I can get this working like the
live site?

I can't believe that it is this problematic to get CF to be passed the 404
error and invoke the onmissingtemplate.  What changed so drastically in iis
8 and cf11 that something so basic is so broken?