You can also utilize a tool like BoogieBounce by Boogie Tools (
http://www.boogietools.com/). I've used this in the past and it works
great. It allows you to determine the cause of a rejected email (hard
bounce, soft bounce, server unreachable, etc.) and then programmatically
deal with it as needed. I would agree though, over the years I have
switched to using 3rd party mailing services for lists, as the number of
man-hours and headaches caused by managing the email are not worth it.