Since you're using European dates I would suggest breaking up the date
field.

IE:

<!-- form page -->
<input type="text" name="dayofmonth"><input type="text" name="month"><input
type="text" name="year">
<!-- end form page -->

<!-- submit page -->
<cfset final_date = month & "/" & dayofmonth & "/" & year>
<!-- end submit page -->

Then you can reformat it for output to the screen at a later time.

If you do it this way you won't have to worry about what order the people
enter the data because it will always be the same.

--K