From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 2:50 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Macromedia and Allaire to Merge

> As much as I dislike Java, in a year or two the new Java-based
> CF will propel programmers to create an infusion of new Java-based
> applet's. And all that entails.
>
> Then of course there is the multi-platform SVG spec that is
> beginning to be integrated into modern browsers. The new
> SVG/XML/DOM/CSS browsers coming online can do very powerful things.
>
> These are all powerful, free multi-platform technologies. I
> can't see how flash will really be able to compete with them in
> the long run.... So I have major issues with Cold Fusion being
> saddled with these old, fat, dying technologies.

Here's a little experiment. Replace "flash" with "ColdFusion" in the
previous paragraph. After all, CF is a proprietary, not-free,
not-quite-platform-independent technology. Here's an example:

"As much as I dislike ASP, in a year or two the new .NET architecture will
propel programmers to create an infusion of new COM+ components, and all
that entails.

Then of course there is the multi-platform PHP, Python and Perl languages,
which can do very powerful things.

These are all powerful, free multi-platform technologies. I can't see how CF
will really be able to compete with them in the long run..."

And yet, personally, I haven't been concerned with the survival of the CF
platform since ASP 1.0, when I just figured that Microsoft would crush CF
like it did everything else back then. I feel the same way about Flash. SVG
may be powerful, but it fails the all-important test of actually existing in
the market. As for new browsers, I'm sure that they'll all implement all
that alphabet soup - "SVG/XML/DOM/CSS" - in a compatible manner, right? As
for the long run, who knows? We have to build applications now, with the
tools we have now - and by that criteria, Flash does the job better than
SVG. If I recall correctly, it was John Maynard Keynes said, "In the long
run, we shall all be dead."

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496