I would start by coding it this way.

The select statement to create the letters would be:

SELECT DISTINCT upper(left(LastName, 1))
FROM Name
ORDER BY upper(left(LastName, 1))

Then I would look through the resulting query to create the actual links.

The HREF for each letter would have a URL variable called WHERE and it would
be eaqual to the letter (i.e. ?WHERE=A)

The ALL Link would not have a WHERE URL variable

The page each link called would use the following logic:

        <cfif NOT isDefined("URL.WHERE)>
                <CFQUERY....
                        SELECT *
                        FROM Name
        <cfelse>
                <CFQUERY...
                        SELECT *
                        FROM Name
                        WHERE LastName LIKE '#URL.WHERE#%'
        </cfif>

and display the names, etc.

Hope this helps.

Russel

  Russel Madere, Jr.         Senior Web Developer
  ICQ: 5446158               http://www.TurboSquid.com

Some days you eat the bear; some days the bear eats you.