Mary,

If I understand correctly, your code looks roughly like this:

<CFQUERY NAME="MyQuery" blah blah blah>
        SELECT VarCharField FROM blah blah blah
</CFQUERY>

<FORM blah blah blah>
        <CFOUTPUT>
        <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="MyInput" VALUE="#MyQuery.VarCharField#"
blah blah blah>
        </CFOUTPUT>
        blah
        blah
        blah
</FORM>

So, your field value:

this is a "quoted title" to view

is plugged in, so that the VALUE parameter reads:

VALUE="this is a "quoted title" to view"

If you use single quotes, it works, since the single quotes inside the
double quotes get translated into double quotes in the final.  What you
might do is use the Replace function to replace double quotes with single
quotes as you put the value in the parameter statement.  Your statement
would look like this:

<INPUT blah blah VALUE="#Replace(MyQuery.VarCharField,"""","'","ALL")#" blah
blah>

I am not sure that this is what you are looking for, but hopefully it will
get you started in the right direction.

Matthieu