From: zac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> This would be a valid comment if most people were aware of the problems that
> exist hidden in their email client.
>
> They aren't.

a co-worker just hit a case of this very thing.  At one of his jobs, he
maintains software for a small firm.  He gets a call in the past week telling
him that for some reason the client's computer no longer works.  He starts
asking some questions (beginning with "did you run last night's backup - and
they hadn't...).  After a bit, he gets to 'what's the last successful thing
you were doing' and they reply 'reading mail'.  No problem, he thinks, because
he has them using a web based mail system.  Next question "have you installed
anything new on the computer since I was last in"... reply was "oh yea -
Outlook Express.  What a neat program."  A long shudder occurs.  "Were you
by any chance using Outlook Express last?"  "Well, yes" comes the reply, "I
said I was reading my mail".  "And was there anything peculiar about any
of the messages you were reading?"  "Well, the last one said something
about "I love you"... is there some problem with that?"

You can guess the rest...
--
Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.
Larry W. Virden <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>