I'm sorry but James's  "Ignorance is no excuse" argument is unimpressive.

If I had bought an early '70's Ford Pinto, I would never have considered
anyone but Ford at fault for increasing the danger I faced on the highway,
once I became aware of it. All the other factors would remain as constants.
People ARE stupid, lazy, careless, impatient, gullible, etc. These traits
WILL always be with us, and they WILL ALWAYS result in bad events. This is
life, and there's no avoiding it. Accidents CAN be avoided, yet they still
DO happen.

James and others tend to put all the responsibility for avoiding virii off
onto us, the end users of mail programs. If it gets into court, the
standard to judge liability is what's commonly referred to as the
"Reasonable Man" standard. What you're expecting of us is, I think,
unreasonable. I just don't know anyone who can remain vigilant against some
sort of attack 100% of the time.