But then, this is way OT.  Sorry, could not resist.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] AT INTERNET on 02/21/2001 01:00 PM

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] AT INTERNET@CCMAIL
cc:    (bcc: Douglas Knudsen/ATL/ALLTELCORP)

Subject:  Re: Allarie/Macromedia ColdFusion Feature Suggestion

Thanks for the smart-ass answer Philip. Sometimes you can't pass
variables
back to the server because you don't want to reload the page.
Sometimes
everything isn't in a Form>Submit>Form>Submit framework.

"This is the kind of thing that Netscape was trying to do with
LiveConnect.
However, as we know the W3C didn't think much of this as a standard so
it
didn't go anywhere. You could do some pretty cool things with it
though." -
from Lanney Udey - Apparantly at least one other person thought this
would
be a good idea.

Could it not be accomplished via an ActiveX control? Could the
<cfscript>
features not be extended to make the bridge between the client and the
server? Sort of a client-side process of CF that can communicate with
the
server side? I realize that the CF gets processed on the server while
the JS
gets processed on the client, but why couldn't CF be extended to
communicate
across the two?

"... CF server, is it meant to be psychic and predict which of the
thousands
of users have which JavaScript variables - and what if the user has
JavaScript disabled..." Well, there is the CFID/CFToken that could be
passed
so that the server could "predict" who has JS variables ... the
information
would inevitably have to be sent to the server, but there could be
some kind
of unseen resubmittal process that would allow CF to reprocess areas
of the
page within a <cfscript> tag. If the client doesn't have JavaScript
enabled,
then things like <cfform> validation wouldn't work either. That's
something
you always have to deal with is the existance of JS. Obviously if
you're
using JS in a page you've thought this end of things out in the first
place.

"CF7, the psychic platform that knows what you want before you even
know
yourself... a bit of quantum programming required, and don't forget to
upgrade to Windows QT - the Quantum version of NT for Quantum
machines." -
For yoUr feciCious comebacK - You Ought repUdiate.

Joshua Miller
Web Development
Eagle Technologies Group, Inc.
Business Solutions for the Next Generation
www.eagletgi.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]