> Sorry to contadict you Adrian, but I can say with complete conviction
> (and no explanation at all) that these experiences did happen...I
> know that obviously a variable either exists or doesn't. That
> doesn't mean that in every instance a function will work though.
> I replaced the  isdefined function (after checking to be sure the
> syntax was correct) with parameterexists and it worked. I
> switched it back to isdefined and it did not. I did it in more than one
> instance and I confirmed the issue and verified the results of
> the workaround with other cf programmers on site.

As long as the quotes are around the variable name, then it will work -
unless you're running a not-upgraded version of CF (4.0 or 4.5 rather than
4.0.1 and 4.5.1 SP2)

I've never had a problem with isDefined(), and it's much easier to use than
ParameterExists(), especially if you're using dynamic names

isDefined("form.#i#") is easier than Evaluate("ParameterExists(form.#i#)")
for obvious reasons although both should work exactly the same

Philip Arnold
Director
Certified ColdFusion Developer
ASP Multimedia Limited