From: C Frederic Valone [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 6:40 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: "isdefined" obsolete?

Tim.... This can be the case when I single programmer, no matter what level
has a problem... if that problem then persists after
re-writing the code and  you then pass the  questionable code over to two
other programmers to to check and they still have the
same issue the problem is probibaly not that everyone overlooked a simple
syntax error.

Please kill this thread now I do not feel like defending my experiences any
more (I already have conformation that others have
experienced the same problem)

Thanks to all for their input.

Frederic

Tim Fields wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> It seems most likely that there was some variety of a syntax error in the
> errant IsDefined() condition. How many times have you stared at code
> convinced it should work only to suddenly see a extraneous or missing
> character like a single quote? Sometimes we are looking at the forest not
> the trees.
>
> I'd suggest that when perplexed about a single line of code not
functioning
> properly, start by doing the old proof reading method of reading the line
> backwards. Also I've occasionally found it helpful to print out the code
in
> color and then used various colored highlighters to mark up the code,
> especially helpful with breaking down regular expressions.
>
> Sorry that's a bit Off Topic and probably not real useful to advanced
> programmers, but it would seem to address what is most likely at the root
of
> this IsDefined "problem".
>
> Tim Fields

Evaluate("ParameterExists(form.#i#)")