I imagine you're talking about Tagfusion.  I brought this same topic up
a while back.  The general consensus was that Allaire probably hasn't
copyrighted specific elements of the language.  someone just created a new
interpreter for it.  Similar to the many different compilers for C.

   I suppose the difference between C and CFML is that there is a standard
'C' language.  Who defines the 'standard C' language?  Is some standards
body, like w3.org?  I actually don't know.

   If I were Allaire, my biggest worry would be the branding they have put
into ColdFusion.  If someone comes along and writes a horribly slow and
buggy interpreter , then it could turn around and give Allaire (Macromedia)
products a bad name.

    The most interesting thing about Tagfusion (as someone else once
stated) is that it was written based on entirely different principles than
ColdFusion.