Keep in mind that the price of SQL Server hasn't gone up because of these
licensing changes. When Microsoft realized SQL Server was being deployed
more and more on the Internet, they introduced the Internet Connector
license, which obviates the issue of having to purchase a CAL for every
simultaneous connection from an Internet user in cases where you would have
more than a couple Internet users connected at the same time.

Now, they have introduced a third licensing scheme, the per CPU license,
which works more like what we're used to seeing from many other products.
This is beneficial to many of our clients that have 20 to 30 staff members
using accounting or brokerage software that works out of a centralized SQL
Server database.

The important point here is that through all of this, the price hasn't
really increased. Instead, the licensing options have. Confusing as they may
be, and dim witted as the Microsoft sales personnel are, this gives us far
more leeway in pricing projects for customers of different sizes and with
different needs, using a single RDBMS solution.

Oh well, enough of the propaganda. :) To answer your question, there are
several other low cost RDBMS solutions available. Some of these include
MySQL, MSDE, and Interbase. Of course, each have their own shortcomings.

Last time I checked, MySQL is less ANSI compliant than most other RDBMSs and
lacks many of the advanced features of other offerings, including stored
procedures, triggers, and row level locking. It also lacks extensions to the
SQL language like the Microsoft/Sybase Transact-SQL language. Many would
argue this is a good thing, but I find we use pieces of Transact-SQL
throughout much of our code. However, partly because of the simplicity
offered by the lack of these features, MySQL is extremely fast on SELECTS.
And for an open source application, it actually has an extremely
"Windows-friendly" install. :)

I know very little about MSDE or Interbase, except that many people find
these to be reasonable alternatives to Microsoft SQL Server in Windows
environments. I believe MSDE can be installed off of the Office Server
Extensions disc, and is probably a good solution for your company if most of
your code has already been developed for Microsoft SQL Server. Interbase is
now an open source project.

Hope I did more than preach about Microsoft's licensing and offered a few
viable alternatives. :)

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
Voice: (508) 240-0051