From: Edward Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 9:43 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: M$ licensing has me at wits end

PostgreSQL:  http://www.postgresql.org/index.html

It will probably have just about every feature you're looking for.

What features are you looking for?

Here's an interesting article of MySQL vs. PostgreSQL:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3?page=1

You won't see any comparisons or benchmarks with SQL Server or Oracle,
as the EULA's for SQL Server and Oracle prevent you from doing this.

Arden Weiss wrote:

> So -- even the M$ sales and licensing staff at their call centers gave me
> identical "wrong" information when I posed the explicit question about
> using Cold Fusion to access SQL Server backend -- they both said
> one-license, because Cold Fusion was the "user" whereas the statement
> extracted from the licensing statement you provided below states:
>
> .... "Hardware or software that reduces the number of Devices directly
> accessing or using the Server Software does not reduce the number of
> required CALs. The number you need is based on the number of distinct
> inputs to the hardware or software 'front end.'"
>
> Otherwise -- 25 users simutaneously hitting Cold Fusion -- 25 CALS -- or
> the per CPU licesing option (on the box on which SQL Server is installed I
> assume).
>
> Sounds like M$ is trying its best to motivate folks like us to find the
> best "alternative" solution -- especially when their product has gotten to
> the point where it may be an "overkill" for the majority of our Cold
Fusion
> applications.
>
> In that vein -- what is the "best cheaper alternative" to SQL Server?
>
>      ^
>     / \__
>   /          O
> /_____/