If you use Access, make judicious use of cached queries and other optimizations as
much as possible.

Kevin

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/13/01 08:49AM >>>
go with SQL or mysql

-----Original Message-----
From: Kortland, Brian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 10:20 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: First crack at commerce, sort of.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0ABD9.673F79C0

Hi All,

I have a number of small clients who mostly have very basic Cold Fusion
driven sites. I have a potential new client (a Deli) who has corporate
customers that want to have access his menus and place orders online. He
does not yet want full blown e-commerce with CC transactions but does want
to allow about 1,000 users into the site to place orders on a daily basis.
For my smaller sites I have used Access 2000 and have not had problems. With
this new client I have concerns regarding concurrent hits to the DB to pull
menu items and to capture and archive orders. Most things I have read state
that Access 97 is not to be used for even moderate traffic sites, but I have
seen claims by MicroSoft that Access 2000 is more robust. Is this just hype?

Should my menus, order info, and security all be kept in separate databases?

If anyone has any other advice based on my scenario I'd love to hear it.

Brian Kortland
Cyberplugs.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0ABD9.673F79C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.19">
<TITLE>First crack at commerce, sort of.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Hi All,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I have a number of small clients who mostly have very basic
Cold Fusion</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>driven sites. I have a potential new client (a Deli) who
has corporate</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>customers that want to have access his menus and place
orders online. He</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>does not yet want full blown e-commerce with CC
transactions but does want</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>to allow about 1,000 users into the site to place orders on
a daily basis.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>For my smaller sites I have used Access 2000 and have not
had problems. With</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>this new client I have concerns regarding concurrent hits
to the DB to pull</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>menu items and to capture and archive orders. Most things I
have read state</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>that Access 97 is not to be used for even moderate traffic
sites, but I have</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>seen claims by MicroSoft that Access 2000 is more robust.
Is this just hype?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Should my menus, order info, and security all be kept in
separate databases?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>If anyone has any other advice based on my scenario I'd love
to hear it.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Brian Kortland</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Cyberplugs.com</FONT>