> >WinNT and Win2k both have a much larger resource pool than Win9x/Me, with
> >2k being the largest of the lot..
>
> Maybe so, but when I put 256MB extra mem in my 2k box, ""System Slowdown""
> stopped being a problem (before after the system had been up/been
> (heavily)
> used for a while, system response (menu's/switching apps etc) became quite
> slow, and nessecitated rebooting)
>
> So, while on 9x stability might not be affected by increasing memory,
> "usability" on 2k is..

Minimum memory will always effect an operating system - you have too little
and it can't function properly - but having 256MB or 1GB makes no difference
to resource memory - also, if you're using memory hungry apps (like
PhotoShop) then they'll sap the RAM of the machine slowing down other apps

> I suppose this has more to do with my system usage than anything else, and
> is a different issue to "stability" (even though stability is percieved by
> many users as "How often do I need to reboot" + "How often does a program
> crash")

True, perception is everything

> >Also, something crashing in NT/2k won't normally bring the machine down,
> >but it will with 9x/Me
>
> Totally agree with you - I find this extremely frustrating when using a 9x
> system after using Nt/2k

Tell me about it - my machine at home is NT Server, Me and 98 - I enjoy
using NT as it's steady as a rock, but opening up the other OSes and you'll
see it die all over the place...

Philip Arnold
Director
Certified ColdFusion Developer