Will,

Have you considered treating the textbox string as a list, breaking it apart
for your query (in your example) "bass" OR "guitar" OR "other list item".
This way you can allow your users to enter multiple words.  The part I'm not
sure about is how my example below affects performance (I'm still new to
things like database tuning)

e.g.

mySearchParams = "Bass Guitar Music"

<CFSET SearchLen = ListLen(mySearchParams)>
<CFSET SearchArr = ListToArray(mySearchParams)>
<CFSET SeachFormat = "">

<CFLOOP FROM="1" TO="#SearchLen#" INDEX="x">
   <CFIF SearchFormat EQ "">
       <CFSET SearchFormat = "myColName = """ & "#SearchArr[x]#""">
   <CFELSE>
       <CFSET SearchFormat = " OR myColName = """ & "#SearchArr[x]#""">
   </CFIF>
</CFLOOP>

<CFQUERY ...>
SELECT blah1, blah2, blah3