From:   James Maltby [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, March 30, 2001 5:45 AM
To:     CF-Talk
Subject:        Import data to ACCESS

Here's a dudy for y'all -

SCENARIO: current client's website - running on NT4, CF 4.01, Access 97
backend - have come back to us with the following request:

They have an Orrible 7 database internally from which they want to export
tab delimited (or csv) data (deleted, amended and new records) on a regular
basis (usually about 200 - 500 records each time) - and they want us to
write an application that will "execute" this file on their server.

ISSUES: the server does not have Access on it, just the databases required -
they will not allow a remote ODBC connection to the Oracle database - the
server is v. old (about 2 years old - 1/2 gig RAM - x86 Pentium II
300/400(?) Proc.)

SOLUTION: we suggest upgrading the backend to MS SQL - using SPs to import
the data - run by CF pages in the admin management system we have written.

PROBLEM: they want us to suggest using the current techs. - i.e. using
ACCESS databases without having access on the server.... any suggestions...

TIA

James