This operation is basically the same as when you detect a client's web
browser.  Most modern email clients send a header (X-Mailer) indicating the
email client type.  Here's an example:

So, there are several caveats:

1 - you must have already received an email from the intended recipient

2 - you must have already parsed out the X-Mailer header

3 - you need a list of the capabilities of each type of mail client

One way to attempt to satisfy most email clients (most but definitely not
all) is to send the mail in both formats within the same MIME-encoded email
message.

Or - you can do this the old-fashioned way - ask the user what format they
wish to receive mail in and keep a database of their preferences.

HTH,

Howie Hamlin - inFusion Project Manager
On-Line Data Solutions, Inc.
www.CoolFusion.com
631-737-4668 x101
inFusion Mail Server (iMS) - the World's most configurable mail server