None if you dont need to worry about weighted ads or targeted ads. As long
as the program does not need to make decisions based upon how many views an
ad has had, or which ad it should show now it does not matter.
As soon as you need to know which ad to show next, rather than random ads,
you have to be updating a counter and selecting it again on the next ad
view, if you have two different servers, where you cant cflock the entire
program you then have a situation where concurrent users on different
servers are being shown the same ad then updating the counter +1 each time,
and you just lost a rotation...or you get each rotation but you lose an
adview, depending on how you do your math.
Since single threading a banner program by making the entire set of queries
a transaction is not an option even under moderate load, it can get a little
complex. I just personally dont think CF is the best solution for a high
transaction banner system...
Even SQL Server has problems with concurrency that make it not ideal either.
>From what I have seen, at least one of the big banner companies uses Oracle
not SQL Server... I've been thinking about rewriting the banner program in
Java because of the whole concurrency issue. When it comes down to it, CF
and SQL SP's are essentially stateless, so the program has to make all it's
decisions and updates all at once. That's a whole lot of database traffic.

But then again, my statements only really apply for complex, high
transaction banner systems, not the majority of sites out there...
There is a guy from DoubleClick that occasionally posts here that has a real
nice banner program though, wonder how much. ;-)

jon