I am new to the Oracle DB backend, and am in a bit of a bind. I am trying
to build an application that is similar to this message board. Only I am
not able to limit the users to 2000 characters. So this forces me to use
long or clob datatypes for message text.
I will be faced with building a search engine obviously, and will need to
be able to search the entry text. The way I am currently handling this is
by parsing the long datatype, if it has more than 2000 characters,
partition it into multiple varchar2(2000) columns. Then piecing it back
together for display. Is there any better way of handling this? Has anyone
seen any good topics about doing this?

Ray