> Improving reliability out of the box...jesus, even the damn phrase is
> getting me pissed off. It's an arrogant cocky ignorant thing to say to a
> server admin who gets up at 3am to check why the smtp server all of the
> sudden stopped responding for 3 minutes. Only to find out it
> fixed itself by
> the time I bump myself to the computer.

Jon, you misunderstood what I was saying.  I've only had to deal with three
CF web hosting services and one dedicated CF Server in the last year an a
half: one for myself (shared), two "Big Boy" operated shared hosts (I refuse
to post names to the list, if someone wants to know which two they are I can
respond off-list) and the dedicated server where I work now.

On all 4 servers I've seen one similariaty:  If you load the server down too
badly, or if there is a case where one of the 150-200 other sites hosting in
a shared environment "blows up".  If there's something that's going to
reduce the hair-loss progression of a server admin, then I'm personally all
for it.

Fiscally, yes, upgrading costs money.  It costs money to provide your
customers with quad-processor boxes and the latest version of Windows 2000
and SQL Server 2000.  Bandwidth costs money, rackspace costs money and even
advertising costs money.  It's all relative to the importance of what you're
offering to the customer and where you want to position yourself in the
market.  (Geez, I sound worse than my business professor from a few years
back... maybe I need to switch to decaf!)

As a consumer, yes, I'd be willing to pay $5 or $10 more per month in order
NOT to have to tie up my hosting provider's tech support lines with "It's
down again".  I just went through a very frustrating situation with a CF
Host where they were trying their hardest to fix the problem and the server
didn't want to act nice.  It turned out they hadn't installed SP 2 and there
was something one of the 175 sites that was hosted on that machine had done
that was causing the "Unknown Parser Error", and it was reappearing every
day for 30 days straight.  Thanks to this list and some off-list contacts we
were able to resolve the problem, but it was a frustrating experience for
them as well as for me.

To look at this in another light, how many people have you heard say, "I'm
not upgrading to (Insert ANY Windows Release here) when it comes out, they
want too much money for it."  A year later they're boasting the latest box!
Things are relative.

With that, I'm going to end my additions to this thread.  I aplologise for
any toes my expression of opinion may have stepped on... any replies I post
to this thread from now out will go to personal e-mails, not back to the
list.

Hatton Humphrey