Start off by modeling entities, not tables (and remember that they _are_
different).

If they are different entities, then model them that way.  If they are two
subtypes of the same entity, then model them as the same entity with two
subtypes.  When the logical model is resolved into a physical model, then
you might end up merging the attributes of these two subtypes into a single
table with the mutually-exclusive subtype columns NULLable.

Also take into consideration any relationships your model might have between
the Player entity and a "Team" entity: a Prospect most likely is not related
to a Team, and that is something much more significant that a "Status" value
separating Players from Prospects.  Don't try to accommodate this by putting
both Prospects and Players into a single table and making the relationship
between Player and Team optional rather than mandatory.  If you do, then
you're letting the tail wag the dog.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Productivity Enhancement, Inc.

Want truly advanced ColdFusion 5 training?  Register for the Advanced
Bootcamp for ColdFusion 5, Database, and Javascript at
http://www.ColdFusionTraining.com!

http://www.CommerceBlocks.com

E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone:   770-446-8866