Hi guys (& gals)

Sorry for the OT post, but I REALLY need help on this one, people's jobs
are on the line.....

We have a serious problem with stability on IIS 5, Win 2K, CF 4.5.2. IIS
has suddenly started to die. Symptoms include -

- Existing virtual directories get "lost". VDir's that have been working
fine for 6 months suddenly return "This page cannot be displayed" IIS
errors. If you delete the VDir and recreate it, it works again.

- CF pages take forever to return. Flat HTML pages are responding
reasonably well, but all the images now take forever to download.
Restarting the CF service seems to help, but only for about half an
hour, then it returns.

- FTP transfer rates have gone down from over 200K / second to about 5
BYTES / second.

My first thought was a runaway CF process somewhere, but when we look at
performance monitor on the CF/IIS server, CPU usage is only at 5% and
memory usage is minimal. Then we thought it might be persistent database
locks, but we've eliminated that. Performance monitor on the DB server
shows only minimal CPU / memory usage too.

We have CF and IIS on one server (Dual PIII 800, 1.3GB RAM) and SQL
running on another. The SQL server is set up as the domain controller.
CFSTAT shows that the database response time is fine, it's just taking
ages for requests to get to & from the server.

I know that at my last job, IIS was rebuilt as a regular maintenance
task every two or three months. This installation of IIS has been for
the last five or six months until this last week. And no code has
changed in the last three weeks.

Has anyone else had similar problems? How often do you all have to
rebuild / re-install IIS ? I need some figures to give to the management
ASAP, as they're starting to growl for blood.

Mail me directly if you like

Cheers,

Alistair Davidson
Senior Web Developer