> Sorry for the OT post, but I REALLY need help on this one,
> people's jobs are on the line.....
>
> We have a serious problem with stability on IIS 5, Win 2K, CF
> 4.5.2. IIS has suddenly started to die. Symptoms include -
>
> - Existing virtual directories get "lost". VDir's that have
> been working fine for 6 months suddenly return "This page cannot
> be displayed" IIS errors. If you delete the VDir and recreate it,
> it works again.
>
> - CF pages take forever to return. Flat HTML pages are responding
> reasonably well, but all the images now take forever to download.
> Restarting the CF service seems to help, but only for about half an
> hour, then it returns.
>
> - FTP transfer rates have gone down from over 200K / second to about 5
> BYTES / second.

> I know that at my last job, IIS was rebuilt as a regular maintenance
> task every two or three months. This installation of IIS has been for
> the last five or six months until this last week. And no code has
> changed in the last three weeks.
>
> Has anyone else had similar problems? How often do you all have to
> rebuild / re-install IIS ? I need some figures to give to the
> management ASAP, as they're starting to growl for blood.

First of all, this doesn't sound like a CF problem at all: images taking a
long time to be retrieved, very slow FTP, loss of IIS virtual directories.

Second, you shouldn't have to regularly reinstall IIS, period. Otherwise,
you'd be insane to use it at all!

Perhaps, the problem you're having is being caused by a screwed-up metabase
(the metabase is the IIS analog to the Windows Registry). If this is the
case, and you have a recent backup of the metabase, you can try restoring
the metabase backup and bouncing the server. If you don't have a metabase
backup, which you'd create through the IIS MMC interface, I'd probably
recommend that you write down all your current IIS settings, then rebuild
IIS, or even rebuild the entire OS.

Because that's going to be a big pain, first you might try things like
installing Win2K service packs, but my guess is that probably won't help.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444