If you are weak in nature you get eaten. The same is true in
capitalism.  Unfortunately, law and psuedo enforcement tend to be the
only means by which people can regulate and do things...

Perhaps this is the point where I say open source is so much more
mature... even though open source fails in capitalistic environment
over time by default of needing capital.

If the lock on your car was suffice, the CLUB wouldn't have sold so
many now would they?

Should people be punished for theft of physical products? Yes, there is
a tangible cost for each item, media, distribution, etc.

For intangibles the argument of stating worth, value, etc. falls fairly
hard on its face.  Most of the disassembly of code seems to be for a
routine - not to modify the program, reface it and sell it.. Although I
am sure this happens... Heck even the open source community has for
profit companies now that are based on other people's work, open source
or not it remains the origin of many things.

So my point here is that the intellectual debate and enforcement that
came from big business should be more sensible and security should be
better, quit ducking the issue.

If your locks don't work you change them. If your taxes are too high
you structure... If your code isn't secure becuase your security sucks,
you cry and expect enforcement...

If companies were held responsible (like Macromedia) this all would be
moot.. really... using the excuse about speed and complexity and one
time keys per item seems like a good argument, but in the name of
security we take guns away, enforce drug laws, sue everyone, etc. in
the real world.

Perhaps we should force Macromedia to make it secure or when someone
borrows your code, file suit against Macromedia for not providing a
secure system.

Heck in my industry we have HIPAA regulations.. go read those and
weep.. we have to work around security and make best attempt and
implement policy out the wahzoo in case of breech or disclosure...
Arbitrary enforcement... wide open punishment for violations...

-paris
[finding the future in the past, passing the future in the present]
[connecting people, places and things]