Matthew,

My experience is with ColdFusion/LDAP.  I worked from the examples in
the manual "ColdFusion Web Application Construction Kit", chapter 30 -
Directory Services and other resources.  I have a colleague that used
perl scripts for authentication going against an extract file of the
directory, not directly against LDAP.  Thus far, mine is the only
application that authenticates directly against LDAP.  I can provide
additional information if you choose to use ColdFusion but other than
that, I personally would be of no help to you.

Jerre